Friday, January 22, 2010

Book One: Anita Diamant "Day after night"

Pages:294

The first book in New Year, the one I've read for the book club, is one of these stories that I would never pick up from the shelf. I've read a couple books on the subject during high school and I wanted to stop there. I didn't want to imagine in my head the heartbreaking stories of people, stories that were real. It was as if every part of me cried with every word I've read. "The day after night" is also a difficult one, tackling the subject of Jews during WWII and their rescue, but I'm glad I've read this. Very delicate subject. I guess it helped that the author is Jewish. Anita Diamant tells a story of 4 women with different war experiences which are held in a British Immigration camp in Alit. They didn't have any documents to get to the Palestine as other Jews so they just were left there.Four women Zorah-camp survivor, Tedi-Dutch Jew, Shayndel-Polish Zionist and Leonie from Paris...had amazing stories. It's so well written. It wasn't exactly a concentration camp story but about survivors, so it was hopeful. Thank God that there are people to tell about this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment