Saturday, September 26, 2009

Book Two: Roma Ligocka "Czulosc i obojetnosc"

Pages: 185

If you are an English reader and don't know any Polish please don't be discouraged. The title is in my translation "Tenderness and indifference". The author is a woman born to a Jewish background in 1938. You can probably figure out what happened to most of her family during the war. I read one of her books few years ago and it was a difficult experience. The title was: "The girl in the red coat".I got a copy of that from my future mother in-law. That was first hand war experience of a child that survived WWII. The author is an amazing woman. Her writing is very tender and you can see a little girl there, hidden somewhere under the table, trying to get into the world that was once taken away from her. I really can't even imagine what she went through, I'm not even trying.

The words that are put on the pages are somehow flowing. It's like Roma almost didn't touch the page with a pen, extremely light breezy writing. It's like a memoir or rather impressions on her life, touch points, brief moments that moved her or are actually part of her.

In her grown up life Roma moved a lot, emigrated to foreign countries. She never had a real home. I emigrated a few years ago but it was totally different experience. My husband got a nice job in Ireland and since we moved here we fell in love with the country. But where home actually is? It's definitely not the building. It's the people you love, people you left behind in the country and the ones that are here with you. It's like being torn apart between here and there. You feel comfortable now, you found your place but knowing that your parents are going to see their grandson only few times a year is almost heartbreaking. At least I know that my folks feel at home in Wroclaw, they have their theatre, movie festivals, other kinds of festivals and the mountains they love so much. I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment